The Missouri VFW has 4 openings for full time Veterans Service Officers at the following locations. All applicants must be a member of the VFW or must join the VFW to be considered for the positions.
1. Two Service Officers for the Saint Louis Area
2. One Service Officer for Columbia MO, at the Harry S Truman VA Memorial Hospital
3. One Service officer for Mount Vernon MO. CBOC
Please send all resumes and a copy of your DD214 to Dennis Flynn at 9700 Page Avenue room 1 – 027, Saint Louis MO 63132.
VFW Service Officer Responsibilities:
1. Offer research and advice to veterans who wish to handle their own claims.
2. Assist veterans who are filing original claims for compensation and/or pension with Department of Veterans Affairs and complete the required VA forms on behalf of the claimant.
3. Assist veterans in reopening claims for service-connected disabilities and complete the required VA forms.
4. Follow up on status of claims filed by veterans with the VA Regional office.
5. File Notice of Disagreement with the VA Regional office if veteran believes the decision made by the VA was incorrect.
6. Review statements of the case from the VA regarding denials of claims and assist veterans with the preparation of response.
7. Assist veterans or surviving spouses in the preparation of appeals for denial of claims and file the appeals with the local VA regional office for forwarding to the Board of Veterans of Appeal in Washington, D.C.
8. Complete VA forms other than original claims.
9. Answer/research telephone inquiries regarding medical, death/burial and other miscellaneous benefits.
10 Reasonable writing skill and interviewing principles; Reasonable communication skills with the general public and clients; Significant ability to follow oral and written instructions; Ability to
prepare and process routine reports, operate computer systems; Extensive ability to understand medical terminology and language.
11. Ability to communicate and diffuse potential threatening environment under adverse conditions with distressed individuals; Reasonable ability to make decisions under adverse conditions in the accordance with department policies and procedures; Ability to manage tasks and assigned projects on a timely manner; Reliability, good judgement, and good physical condition.